This took me a ridiculous chunk of afternoon to solve, and the solution was surprising to me. So I guess a full report will be useful to spare other users the same process…
- You mount a share with music files over SMB or CIFS. With a file browser you can navigate the tree, and you can play the files perfectly.
- You add local music files to your Amarok collection, they appear and Amarok is fully functional.
- You add the mount point of the network share to your collection. You then update or rescan your collection.
- At some point during the scan, a notification pops up with the message : “The Collection Scanner was unable to process these files“. Once you acknowledge the notification, the scan halts and no files appear to have been added to the collection. As a bonus, KNotify may crash with signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
- On the Samba file server, a ridiculously high number of files is opened. So many that on the client if you try even a ‘ls’ anywhere on the mounted share you will get a complain about “too many files opened”. In normal operation, Amarok only opens one file at a time during a scan.
- Desperate, you try exiting Amarok. It crashes hard on termination and brings down the whole X session along with him.
- You are pretty pissed off.
In summary, both sides work perfectly fine individually, but trying to get them to work together fails and there are no useful pointers.
Failing to root out the bug and not finding anything obvious on the Web I headed to the Amarok forums. There I quickly found that about each and every thread mentioning Samba ended with a link to the Samba page of the Amarok wiki. I found the content to be basic and apparently completely unrelated with my problem, but reading between the lines I understood the key to the solution…
If you have read and write rights on a share, there are probably no problems any way you put it. But if you only have read rights on the share and mount it read and write, then Amarok is all confused ! That is what was happening to me.
A few days ago, before letting a novice user play music on my workstation , in order to protect the files from harm, I had quickly removed my username from the write list of the music share on the file server. And I had forgotten about that…
So I went back to faulty /etc/smb.conf and I added my username to the “write list” parameters. I reloaded the Samba configuration, launched Amarok, the collection was automatically rescanned and my world was back to harmony.
Let the music play !